Supporting the Community with You
As a leader of a nonprofit or human services organization, you’re entrenched in the community you serve, doing critical work, while also juggling the significant task of making sure your doors stay open. Increased regulatory compliance, staffing transitions and finding funds to build out infrastructure are just skimming the surface in regards to the challenges you’re facing daily. We provide nonprofit accounting and consulting services that can help. Our clients come to us for a variety of reasons. Sometimes they need help with succession – planning an exit of a long-time executive director or hiring a CFO. Sometimes our clients need assistance understanding the costs of running a program and analyzing hard numbers so they can best articulate their position in their case statement. Sometimes our clients need some strategic ideas for increasing their funding, improving reporting, and being more resourceful with their budget. Yet other times, our clients need some extra help deciphering Form 990 or preparing tedious tax exemption applications. No matter your challenge, whether day-to-day or long term, you can depend on us to achieve innovative solutions through collaboration to get to the heart of the matter.
Meaningful Guidance Designed for Nonprofit and Human Service Organizations
At Mercadien, we understand the risks and intricacies involved in running a mission-driven organization. We know our clients; we stay perpetually engaged with them to ensure we remain abreast of their challenges, goals, industry trends, nuances, and business operations. Clients appreciate our proactive attention and comprehensive advice, as well as the consistency and continuity of our communications and service. We consider it all part of delivering the Mercadien Client Experience.
The increased demand for accountability, transparency and good governance puts many of our clients under pressure. We support our clients in navigating potential obstacles by staying in front of trends and regulatory changes. Many of our clients turn to us for assistance with such issues as maintaining HIPAA compliance and transitioning to Fee-for-Service billing in the Department of Human Services (DHS) Medicaid environment and conducting risk assessments. We continuously help clients analyze their operational gaps and address critical financial, strategic and structural needs, at any point and level they require. You will always find us anticipating changes with industry insight and expertise. We focus on this so you can focus on the work you love, helping your constituents in need.
Supporting our community is one of our foundational values. When it comes to our own volunteerism, the professionals at Mercadien currently serve more than 100 civic and charitable organizations through board leadership, committee membership, fundraising and in-kind contributions.
We’ve worked with nearly 300 organizations spanning social and human service organizations, religious organizations, trade associations, private schools, schools for the disabled, health and welfare organizations, long-term care providers, foundations and health care facilities. We’re proud to be a preferred vendor of the New Jersey Association of Community Providers and member of the New Jersey Association of Mental Health and Addiction Agencies. We attend and speak at many industry events hosted by these and other organizations to help educate the nonprofit community on relevant trends and challenges they may face. They know we’ve developed best practices that help our clients reduce risk, be agile, and save money.
Our Nonprofit Accounting and Consulting Services include
Accounting, auditing and compliance
- Audit and attest services
- Nonprofit accounting system design and implementation
- Fee for Service transition assistance
- Yellow Book & single audit services
- Agreed-upon procedures
- Tax return preparation
- Multistate reporting
- Tax exemption applications and maintenance
- Compliance oversight and internal audit
- Employee benefit plan audits
- Compensation analysis
- Outsourced accounting and CFO services
Strategic planning and management consulting
- Risk assessment and management, including operational, compliance and financial
- Internal control evaluations
- Strategic and management planning and consulting
- Technology consulting
- Board retreat facilitation and training
- Mergers and acquisitions consulting and due diligence
- Functional expense allocation plan review
- Indirect cost plan review
- New Jersey Association of Community Providers (Preferred Vendor)
- New Jersey Association of Mental Health and Addiction Agencies – Member
- Center for Nonprofits of New Jersey
- Association of Schools and Agencies for the Handicapped
- New Jersey Association of Independent Schools
- New Jersey County College Business Officers Association
- Princeton Area Community Foundation
- Princeton Community Works
- MIDJersey Chamber of Commerce – Nonprofit Executive Council